Saturday, January 10, 2009

On the road again

I have once again joined the ranks of the backpackers. After 5 months in El Progreso, Honduras I left my job, my friends, and my community behind on Sunday and hopped on a bus towards Nicaragua. For a wrap-up of my time in El Progreso you can check out the OYE blog: oyehonduras.blogspot.com

My pack (much heavier than before) and I now find ourselves in León, Nicaragua, a colonial city about 2 hours from the Southern Honduran border. As usual, my plan is a bit short on details but I want to hop around here for a few days and then backtrack north to travel through El Salvador (checking out the pacific coast surfing on the way). After some time on the beach, I will pass through Quetzaltenango once again to visit my host family and then it´s on to the real adventure: a stint in Mexico City.

Some friends have asked me, why Mexico City? To this I can safely answer, I don´t really know. I have a job connection there which will hopefully lead to me teaching English and making a bit more than the 7,000 Lempiras ($350/month) I was raking-in in Progreso. I also have friends there that I want to see, and I believe I miss the culture, the bustle, and the crowds of people that I experienced in NYC. I´m definitely not going to Mexico City for the air quality.

I already miss the life I left behind in Honduras, but I hope that this part of my trip turns-up just as many adventures as the last.

1 comment:

Atom Salad said...

Hey, what's in that "much heavier" backpack? :-) Amazing how we accumulate things...just as life goes along.